Other sources of financial assistance for home repair and retrofitting

Help from Other Federal Agencies

Several Federal agencies offer disaster assistance to communities and citizens. For a complete list of Federal assistance programs for which you may be eligible, visit www.disasterassistance.gov….

Small Business Administration (SBA)

SBA provides low interest disaster loans to homeowners, renters, businesses of all sizes, and private, non-profit organizations to repair or replace real estate, personal property, machinery and equipment, and inventory and business assets that have been damaged or destroyed in a declared disaster. Visit www.sba.gov… for more information.

U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)

HUD provides flexible grants to help Cities, Counties, and States recover from Presidentially Declared Disasters, especially in low-income areas, subject to availability of supplemental appropriations. Visit www.hud.gov… for more information.


The USACE has the statutory authority to participate in projects that may include residential retrofitting (including elevating flood-prone homes and acquiring badly damaged flood-prone homes). Contact the appropriate USACE Division office for further information. You can find more information and contact information for your USACE Division office at www.us….

Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS), U.S. Department of (USDA)

The NRCS has the statutory authority to participate in small watershed flood protection projects that may include residential retrofitting. Contact your local Conservationist for further information. More information is available at www.nrcs.us….

Other Assistance Programs

Other Federal programs intended to protect and improve the environmental quality of floodplains may offer financial assistance.

Non-Federal Help

Programs Sponsored by State and Local Governments

States, local governments, and and drainage districts sometimes develop financial assistance programs to promote flood hazard retrofitting projects. Ask your local officials whether such a program exists in your community.

Voluntary Organizations

After floods and other major disasters, voluntary organizations often offer their services to support the rebuilding of homes. Occasionally, materials are donated and volunteers offer to provide labor that could be used to reduce the cost of a retrofitting project. Check with local officials, local service organizations, and homes of worship for information about such services. Note that you must obtain building permits and comply with all relevant regulations (including substantial damage requirements, if they apply), even if you receive assistance from voluntary organizations.

Environmental Interest Organizations, Including Land Trusts and Nature Conservancies

Numerous non-government, non-profit, and quasi-public organizations are dedicated to enhancing the environmental benefits of floodplains. Sometimes these organizations provide funds that can be used in the restoration or protection of the natural beneficial value of the .